Monday, June 9, 2008

We Middle-of-the-Roaders ...

I agree. In my earlier post, responding to Peter I tried, perhaps not well, to say that the most outspoken voices on issues related to sexual and gender identity have been homophobic, plain and simple, creating an air of "that's what people think so that's how it is", which makes living an authentic life hard for people who are not heterosexual.

In any circumstance of this nature, when people are feeling fearful, oppressed, or discriminated against there comes a time when another, differently powerful voice enters the mix. So at this upper level you have the two forces battling back and forth. In this case, it is Diane Gramley and Joe Wilson at the Macro level (though I highly doubt Joe can be considered an "extremist. He's a guy with a camera asking questions that people don't like to answer. Myself included, sometimes).

I agree with Peter that there are then tons of people who are middle of the road and who don't know what to think. But I have to wonder, without this upper level conflict happening, would they think much about it anyway? Why should they have to? Who is making an issue out of how people are treated? Who is raising an awareness as to what is happening to people as a result of this anti-gay rhetoric? Who is saying "hey, folks, look at what's going on here and try to make some changes"?

The middle of the roaders sure aren't (and I include myself in this bunch, so I am not intending to be critical of others). Before these two "extremes" started at each other, who knew what was going on, or how much was going on? Little pockets of people here and there, who talked amongst themselves. Little factions of the community who might have "tsk'd, tsk'd" the most recent letter calling for a boycott, but who otherwise did or said nothing.

The "everything is fine, pay attention to your own dinner" mentality has historically led to some pretty bad things. Why? Well, in part because people in the middle, the majority, couldn't identify with either extreme, so they said "I'm staying out of it" blaming the extremes for not having developed a palatable stance for them to take.

Inaction from the majority doesn't force the leadership to do anything except believe that all is well and good.

So while it might be a little easier to maintain the surface calm by saying you don't want to jump to one side or the other but rathe rjust be a nice person, it really is incumbent upon anyone who says they care to do something. Support things like the new UU congregation. Go to events at the Latonia. Ask what portion of your school tax dollars are being spent on programs that promote civility and respect, advise someone who frequently refers to things as "gay, that the word "gay" is not a synonym for "stupid", confront ANY intolerant language, etc., etc.

We "middle of the roaders" are not obligated or expected to go the perceived extreme. That's not our role if we don't want it. I think our role is to listen to the upper level dialogue and initiate conversation and action in our own vernacular. And the other thing is to see this for what it is: a human rights issue. You don't have to morally "Agree with" any particular LEGAL lifestyle, but I think it's important to agree that all people, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation,socio-economic status, etc, should be able to enjoy the basic rights and privileges of which our nation is so proud

And if you believe that, then it is incumbent upon you to do something when you are made aware of threats or injustices perpetrated against these rights. That's the only way these rights and privileges can be maintained for EVERYONE, including the white heterosexual chrisitan male. When they are threatened for one, they are threatened for all.

I know that personally I have spent far too long a time hoping that either the problem would go away or that someone else would fix it. Basically just minding my own business. But things hit a tipping point for me this year when my friend, who is transgender, was in town and it was turned into a complete fiasco by Diane Gramley. It was unfair, uncalled for, humiliating, and quite honestly, damn scary. No person should have to spend one second with that kind of fear if it can be prevented by someone else saying "Enough".

Just my two cents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seeing "middle of the roaders" weigh in is encouraging. Often those of us feeling threatened wonder where you are? Wonder why you seem to turn a blind eye. You are our collegues, our schoolmates, our neighbors. But then I realize that for many years I lived the "don't ask, don't tell" lifestyle. I didn't tell you what was hurting me. I didn't bring your attention to how laws affected me. I didn't tell you why I feared joining your social events, your clubs, your church or contributing in any substantial way to the community. I stayed home and isolated. Silent.
Today I read this on the AFA of PA website in their area of "proof of a gay agenda"...

"Hate Crimes Legislation

Hate crimes laws provide harsher sentences for violent crimes motivated by bias based on gender, ethnicity, religion, or physical disability. In 22 states and Washington, D.C., sexual orientation is also a protected category. But the federal Hate Crimes Prevention Act is stalled in Congress -- partly because it includes protection for gay men and lesbians."

How can we not interpret that to mean they believe it is OK to commit violent acts again gay and lesbian people?