Monday, June 30, 2008

re: Two Coming Out Stories

Submitted by Brenda


It's important for all of us to challenge our assumptions ... and, if we can't do that ourselves, I suppose we need the shock value exemplified here to make us face the realities we refuse to see on our own.

Now what I'd like to see (and I say this as a multi-dimensional straight woman with equally multi-dimensional friends of all varieties) is a similar honesty in breaking through the stereotypes we seem to be perpetuating in order to make gays seem harmless.

For example, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy might be very clever, but most of the gay guys I know didn't spring from the covers of GQ magazine ... and don't know the first thing about dance or design. (Oops ... sorry, just some pet peeves, can you tell?!)

Anyway, bigotry of all types has been on my mind lately and I appreciated this post!

No comments: