Monday, June 9, 2008

Encouraging and Discouraging Signs

Seeing "middle of the roaders" weigh in is encouraging. Often those of us feeling threatened wonder where you are? Wonder why you seem to turn a blind eye. You are our collegues, our schoolmates, our neighbors. But then I realize that for many years I lived the "don't ask, don't tell" lifestyle. I didn't tell you what was hurting me. I didn't bring your attention to how laws affected me. I didn't tell you why I feared joining your social events, your clubs, your church or contributing in any substantial way to the community. I stayed home and isolated. Silent.
Today I read this on the AFA of PA website in their area of "proof of a gay agenda"...

"Hate Crimes Legislation

Hate crimes laws provide harsher sentences for violent crimes motivated by bias based on gender, ethnicity, religion, or physical disability. In 22 states and Washington, D.C., sexual orientation is also a protected category. But the federal Hate Crimes Prevention Act is stalled in Congress -- partly because it includes protection for gay men and lesbians."

How can we not interpret that to mean they believe it is OK to commit violent acts again gay and lesbian people?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a real need for this blog. But I have one question, why don't you include the links to the information you're talking about?

I heard once the AFA of PA had the 'ex-gay' Stephen Bennett in and recently they had another 'ex-gay' from Harvest USA in talking about 'sexual brokenness.' How can there be ex-gays?

When I finally located that quote about hate crimes on the AFA of PA website I looked at the whole page and it says the information comes from PlanetOut.

http://www.afaofpa.org/Millennium%20March%20-%20April%2030,%202000.htm

I still can't find the banner ad about the DVD targeting the arts revitilization project Contributer # 3 mentioned. It would be 'interesting' to watch that. Which website was that on?