Thursday, January 7, 2010

Houston Mayor Urges LGBT Community To Dream Big

An Important Message For Those In Venango County Working So Hard For Fairness, Equality, Dignity, and Respect For All!

from GayPolitics.com:


Houston Mayor Annise Parker spoke directly to the LGBT community during her inaugural address before thousands at a downtown performing arts center this morning. Parker’s election December 13th made Houston the largest city in the U.S. to elect an openly LGBT mayor. Parker spoke passionately about the diversity of Houston and its future, but her address turned personal when she told attendees she wanted to speak directly to the LGBT community:

“I understand what this day means to you. I can feel your excitement and your joy, but I can also feel your apprehension and your longing for acceptance. I will gladly carry you forward, but today is simply one day toward a tomorrow of greater justice. And when the time comes I will gladly pass the torch to the next in waiting, and I will cheer for them as you do for me. Your bravery in the face of threats, your bravery in the face of insults sustains me. We will support each other.

Do not fear to dream big dreams. Bring your whole self to everything you do. Face the world with dignity and integrity. I promise you, the pain is worth the reward.”

No comments: